Ridgeview's Social Services team advocates for you and your family by linking you to essential services and resources in a compassionate and respectful manner. Our social workers serve as an integral part of your professional health care team.
Support in Making Difficult Health Care Decisions
- Your mother’s condition requires she be put on a ventilator to survive. How do you make this decision for her?
- Your spouse has just received a diagnosis of terminal cancer. Where can you turn for clarity in choosing a treatment plan together?
- You need to make the health care decisions for your father who just suffered a stroke and is no longer able to communicate. Who can help you identify your options?
We can help. When you become a Ridgeview patient, you are cared for by professionals who see you as a whole person, not just someone with a medical condition. While our primary purpose is to treat you, we also respect your wishes to live in a manner consistent with your principles and values.
Resources are available to help you and your family make decisions about the care you receive. We will put you in touch with them quickly, so we can better understand your unique situation and explain your care options.
Inpatient Resources Include:
- Patient Care Conference—You and your family can schedule a patient care conference with a nurse, doctor or other health care provider to talk more specifically about a health care directive, treatment preferences, discharge planning, coping methods or any other concerns that arise in facing a serious illness and hospital stay. After you inquire to your nurse or physician, Ridgeview's Social Services team will arrange a care conference for you.
- Advance Care Planning—It is important for you to have accurate information to make informed decisions about treatments you would or would not want for end-of-life care. It is equally important to talk about your wishes with your family members who may need to make health care decisions, and to record your wishes in a document. Please tell your nurse or physician that you would like to discuss Advance Care Planning with a Ridgeview social worker.
If you are admitted to the hospital, you (or someone on your behalf) can also ask for a social worker to assist you with these services: