Arlington Campus History

March 1945: City council special meeting to discuss idea of building a hospital.

October 1945: Herman C. Noack donates the $1,500 to purchase the 10 acres from a reluctant Louis Hillemann on which the hospital is to be built.

January 1948: Hospital opens with Mrs. Nora Evans as administrator. Total cost of construction is $126,000.

March 1948: First hospital board appointed. The first board consisted of Herman Noack, A.W. Luff, Louis Kill, Herman Kamps and John Luff.

September 1957: Arlington Hospital Auxiliary is organized.

October 1967: $600,000 hospital remodeling bond issue approved 477-102 by Arlington voters.

December 1969: Hospital addition is completed.

January 1977: Management contract signed with Immanuel St. Joseph’s Hospital. The Mankato hospital will supply an administrator, but decisions about the hospital will be made locally.

June 1977: Hospital becomes charter member of Corresponding Health Care Associates, which later becomes InterCare, the first regional hospital system of Voluntary Hospitals of America (VHA). VHA is now the largest voluntary hospital system in the United States.

August 1977: Remote cardiac monitoring system installed at hospital. Hospital is first remote cardiac monitoring site in Minnesota.

February 1979: Arlington Hospital is one of the first small rural hospitals to purchase a fetal heart monitor.

May 1983: Hospital Foundation Board is organized.

July 1984: Hospital receives accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals. Arlington Hospital is the only hospital located in Sibley, LeSueur and Nicollet counties that is accredited by the Joint Commission.

September 1985: Emergency helicopter service is now available in Arlington.

April 1986: Hospice program began at hospital.

March 1987: Major remodeling project including the relocation of the physical therapy department is completed.

June 1987: Hospital offers health information and physician referral service called Medformation in conjunction with Abbott-Northwestern Hospital.

March 1994: An Adult Day Health Center program begins to provide services.

1994: Hospital begins a Home Health Care program.

1996: Arlington Municipal Hospital receives notification that the Rural Utilities Services grant application is approved in the amount of $203,000 for telemedicine. AMH was one of 29 applicants selected nationally.

1997: Hospital Board approves a management/consulting contract with the Allina Health System.

1999: Hospital becomes a Critical Access Hospital.

August 2000: Arlington Municipal Hospital and Arlington, Gaylord and Winthrop clinics integrate. The clinics are the first to carry our new name and become Sibley Medical Clinics.

January 2001: Arlington Municipal Hospital becomes Sibley Medical Center.

October 2001: Arlington voters overwhelmingly (449 – 53) support hospital renovation project.

October 2002: New ER is completed.

March 2003: The renovated Sibley Medical Center & Clinic open.

April 2003: SMC&C Foundation funded expansion and renovation of hospital nurse’s station is completed.

November 2004: Sibley Medical Center & Clinics Home Health Care receives Home Health Quality Achievement Award for superior performance from Stratis Health.

March 2005: New Gaylord Clinic opens.

September 2005: New Henderson Clinic opens.

October 2007: Management agreement began with Ridgeview Medical Center.

October 2008: Joint venture began for ambulance coverage with the City of Arlington.

July 2009: Trauma Level 4 designation received from the state of Minnesota.

September 2009: $50,000 grant awarded for electronic medical record implementation from the State Planning and Transition Program.

June 2010: Completed the final phase of electronic medical records implementation.

January 2014: Ridgeview Sibley Medical Center signs affiliation agreement with Ridgeview Medical Center and joins its network, which also includes a hospital in Waconia, MN, a multitude of primary and specialty care clinics, emergency services and specialty programs, and Two Twelve Medical Center in Chaska.