- 1954: The newly formed Waconia Community Hospital Association assumed operations of the Nagel Hospital, 27-bed, 8-bassinet community hospital.
- 1959: John Devins was hired as president of the Waconia Community Hospital.
- 1962: Construction began on a new 45-bed community-owned hospital located on the high ridge southwest of town.
- July 27, 1963: Waconia Ridgeview Hospital opened its doors.
- 1973: Ridgeview underwent a major expansion, adding a third floor and a capacity of 109 beds and 20 bassinets. New surgical, pediatric and intensive care units were added, plus a number of other improvements.
- April 1990: Ground was broken for an $11 million expansion, which included a new emergency care facility and ambulance garages. This building program also allowed for expansion in the surgery areas (including the development of a same-day surgery complex), maternal child health, lab, radiology, medical records, communication center and a gift shop. A large auditorium was added to the Waconia campus.
- 1995: Ridgeview Medical Place, a private medical office building, was built just north of Ridgeview Medical Center, allowing additional services—including radiation therapy, oncology care and dialysis. An underground tunnel connecting the building to the hospital was also built to allow for transportation of patients between the two buildings.
- 1996: John Devins retired as president of Ridgeview after having served the Waconia Community Hospital (1959–63), Waconia Ridgeview Hospital (1963–90) and Ridgeview Medical Center (1990–96) for 37 years. Under his leadership, the once 27-bed, 8-bassinet community hospital with four to six physicians had grown to a major regional medical center with more than 200 physicians in 25 specialties.
- 1996: Ridgeview purchased Chanhassen Medical Center, a family care clinic located in downtown Chanhassen.
- Late 1996: Robert Stevens was welcomed as Ridgeview’s CEO. His vision to strengthen Ridgeview’s scope of health care and information services in the growing western Twin Cities suburbs led to the acquisition of additional neighborhood clinics (located in Howard Lake, Winsted, Mound, Maple Plain and Delano) and to the development of the multispecialty Ridgeview Chaska Medical Plaza. Ridgeview also purchased a home medical equipment business, and created a formal hospice care program to augment its home care services.
- 1998: With support from Ridgeview Foundation, a chapel and meditation garden were constructed.
- 1999: Groundbreaking for multi-million dollar building project including the expansion of imaging services, with an on-site magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) facility, as well as the construction of a state-of-the-art cardiac-intensive care unit (CICU).
- 1999: A financial gift from the former Nightingale Center Nursing Home helped open the Nightingale Center geriatric behavioral services unit.
- Jan. 1, 2000: Ridgeview became an independent, nonprofit hospital. Previously operated as a government (community-owned) organization, Ridgeview's hospital building is owned by the city of Waconia, which is leased to Ridgeview and operated by its administrators and board of directors.
- 2001: Ridgeview opened a CICU and Imaging Center.
- 2002: Construction of new clinic buildings began in Delano, Chanhassen and Howard Lake (which were occupied in 2003).
- 2003: Ridgeview completed construction of two new operating rooms in Surgery.
- 2004: Ridgeview began construction of a new 15,000-square-foot Ridgeview Excelsior Clinic, which opened in the spring of 2005.
- Spring 2006: Ridgeview broke ground for the Ridgeview Heart Center and a Center for Women & Children, as well as a high-tech Communications Center, which backs up Carver County’s main 911 emergency system in case of failure.
- July 2008: Ridgeview Professional Building opened in Waconia.
- February 2009: Ridgeview Winsted Clinic expansion is completed. The 8,000-square-foot facility, adjacent to its former location, is connected to St. Mary’s Care Center by an enclosed corridor.
- Summer 2009: Ridgeview opened its new Birthing Center, which features six birthing suites with full-sized bathtubs and 18 private "spa-like" postpartum suites with hotel-like décor and amenities.
- 2010: Ridgeview opened its Neonatal Care Unit, in partnership with Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. Ridgeview’s NCU team is led by neonatologists from Children's, who have a daily presence at Ridgeview, and includes Ridgeview’s highly regarded nursing staff and Children’s neonatal nurse practitioners, who provide 24/7 on-site support. The unit features seven private rooms with the capability to care for up to 13 infants at a time.
- February 1, 2011: Ridgeview opened Two Twelve Medical Center, a free-standing emergency and urgent care facility located at Highways 212 and 41 in Chaska. Two Twelve Medical Center offers 24/7 emergency and urgent care, comprehensive family and specialty care, advanced diagnostics, access to leading physicians and clinics, and more.
- Summer 2012: Ridgeview Delano Clinic expansion is completed. The 11,000-square-foot addition expanded the 8,379-square-foot clinic that was built in 2002. The addition provides expanded Ridgeview clinic space, nearly 3,000 additional square feet for Ridgeview Rehabilitation Services and space for Ridgeview’s partners, including Twin Cities Orthopedics and Wayzata Children's Clinic.
- January 1, 2014: Ridgeview assumed the operation of Sibley Medical Center--a critical care access hospital in Arlington, Minn., and its four primary care clinics (Arlington, Gaylord, Henderson and Winthrop).
- Summer 2014: Ridgeview opened a 45,000-foot, two-story expansion at Two Twelve Medical Center.
A new century and millennium brought additional health care changes and opportunities. Ridgeview is prepared to meet those challenges with the same commitment to quality patient care that helped a small drugstore hospital evolve into one of the region’s most respected medical centers.